Saturday, June 30, 2007

Product Shoot

On June 26 was the second photoshoot I got to help with at SLP. We shot about 60 table top shots for whimsy press. Scott's fiance Wendy, Donna, Lisa, and Lisa's dog Trixie where all there to help guide the photographic journey. The three females acted as art director as we shot the notecards, bookplates, journals, stickers, baby clothes, and wrapping paper.
Scott used a white seamless on a table top with a white laminate board in the background to create a horizon line in the background. He also used a Molar on a boom stand for high and to the left lighing with the white laminate board as a reflector used as a fill. He also wanted to use his 35 mm tilt-shift lens but someone checked it out with another camera body so he was forced to use his 50 mm on his canon mark II.
My job on the shoot was as digital assistant. Scott gave me a print out of their digital work flow where they make sure that each picture is saved to 3 locations. He also showed me about the metadata with all the shot information written into it. The main point of my job on this shoot was to write all the metadata for each shot. This consisted of me copying and pasting the main metadata and then asking for the name of each product. Asking for the names was smooth at first because I simply used a phrase from the note cards like "Love is Lovely cards" or "Havannah Cards". However, when it got to the journals, stickers, wrapping paper, and others I had to ask on every single one because of the bizarre names. After about the 30th time of asking, I figured that of the three people they might catch on that I needed names and that they would offer it after each photograph but no, I had to annoy them by saying, "Excuse me, uh, Wendy? what is the name of this one?" and she would tell me. Or I would point at the screen and she would nod in approval and then I would say, "What is the day of this one?" and she would say, "Oh, it's Poppi Art" and I would say thanks.

All in all, today was a good day. I learned alot about art directors and how to ask the name of a product 15 different ways, among other things. I was there from 8 30 am to 4 30.

No comments: