Sunday, June 24, 2007

Second Day at SLP

My second day at Scott Lowden Photography was on June 12th and much more interesting to me than the first. Although I learned so about the business end of a working studio the first day, the second day I was introduced to Ryan, another freelancer alongside of Keith, and Scott himself.
I arrived at the studio at one in the afternoon to meet Ryan and talk to him about his role in SLP. When I spoke with him he was printing out the photos from the AFLAC campaign that SLP had in Columbus, GA (aflac's hometown). He explained to me that they use enhanced matt paper because the proof paper they used had a yellow tint that customers complained about, so they stuck with a cheap paper that had a white base. Ryan also explained to me how he got involved with Scott and assisting him. Ryan is usually the Digital Assistant on a shoot, meaning that he takes care of the CF cards (making for there are formated cards in the camera all the time), making sure that all the pictures from each card is backed up in 3 places (card, computer, external hard drive). Ryan also helps Keith (lighting assistant and Photoshop guy) with the lighting when need be. Talking with Ryan helped me to solitify everything that keith had told me about how a team works and the synergy it must have inorder to be successfull.
When Scott arrived the team promptly began to discuss the lighting for there upcoming photoshoot for Dillard's. Since Scott and Ryan were unsure of when and where they were going to set up for the shoot (they were scouting the day of) they thought of many scenarios.
Most of the time for me was listening to what they were talking about and watching how they interacted. Scott led the discussion with Ryan giving advice. Ryan, in fact told me, in a conversation about assisting, that "the best assistants give successful advice".
While unloading equipment from the storage closet for loading up next day, Ryan and Scott explained the equipment to me and what they would use what for. I was familiar with most of the equipment but since Scott prefers continuous lighting some of it I was unfamiliar with. After unloading from the closet and packing equipment for travel it was time to leave. I was at the internship from 1 to 5 pm.
The second day at SLP was excited because I met Scott and anxious because of the next day shoot.

No comments: