Saturday, June 30, 2007

Errands and Meeting

Today, June 28, was the day after the Whimsy Press photoshoot. Today was another errand day. This time I was sent to Sam Flax clear across town. I drove over there to buy vellum envelopes for Scott's mailers. Scott also me to research paper cutters and see if they make them longer than 11 inches. At "the flax" I found the vellum envelopes pretty easily and then walked to find a salesperson to help me with the paper cutter question. Apparently, after looking at the magazine that Sam Flax orders from and finding they do not make them any longer than 12 inches (Scott wanted 14 or 15 inches).
On my return Callie, Scott's studio manager called me and told me to get some lunch before I get back. I stopped at the restraunt next to SLP studio called Del Sol which is really great food and the lady who runs it is very nice. I got a grilled chicken salad and returned to the studio.
Upon returning I was asked by Scott to look up prices on Ebay of broken computers and other equipment to compare prices. I found prices on 2 seagate HDs, a imac G5 with a broken screen, a G4 tower, an external Lacie DVD burner, 2 apple laptop batteries, a 15 in power book, and a 12 in G5 power book.
At 3 30 pm there was a brainstorming meeting for a tool company calendar for Cyclone. Scott and the 4 other ad guys threw around ideas for location, demographics, and other details of the company product calender. They settled on the shop as location with hot girls. I know it sounds pretty cliche, but I am sure Scott will find a way to shoot it interestingly with a tiny bit of cliche.
After all the hour long meeting, another of Scott's assistants John Herre came in with a stylist friend, named Heather. She was from Atlanta but moved to New York to work and how she is back and looking for jobs.

While John and Heather waited for Scott, I was able to talk about working in the commerical photography world and eventually for Scott. They both gave me great ideas for learning an eye for commerical photography. Heather said to look in magazine such as ITALIAN VOGUE, NYLON, LOWMO, and W for ideas and rip them out and save them. John suggested writing down what you learned on each photoshoot and to diagram out lighting on any photo for ads.

These are great ideas that I will do. Thanks John and Heather.

No comments: